Pears quotes

• I think the older you are, the more you're going to cling to the printed word as being sacred.

• If you've got to get fired, it's really fabulous to get fired with a friend.

• I wasn't a visionary but I literally had my finger on the pulse of the women of America.

• Istanbul and the western and southern seaboards are very Europeanized. But then you have the Kurdish areas, in the southeast. That's Turkey's Middle East, where you have a different society, which itself is changing but much more slowly, where women are maltreated, are expected to have huge families, and are often basically beasts of burden. That is changing - with education, with the movement of people from the southeast to the west and the cities. As with so much in Turkey, you can't expect change to happen overnight.

• I wanted to be a broadcaster, sportscaster, or gameshow host from a very early age. I did my first broadcasting when I was 10 or 11 - into a tape recorder for my brother's football game, and for local events. A local radio station was experimenting with high school disc jockeys for rock and roll shifts - I applied - and got the job.

• There's so many things I want to do. I want to work with great filmmakers, great actors, great scripts. And there's no reason for me to do anything short of that, because I'm 24, I don't have a family, I don't need to make tons of money, and I'm not dying to get famous.

• Our incomes are like our shoes; if too small, they gall and pinch us; but if too large, they cause us to stumble and to trip.

• There cannot be any impediment to science that will ultimately be good to the general public.

• Where do thoroughbreds go after they lose one too many races, throw one too many riders, or develop a limp? Many thousands of thoroughbreds end up being slaughtered for horse meat. The unpleasant truth is horse meat is eaten in Europe and Asia.

• I want people to make the same choice I made to get healthy.