Ethnography quotes

• When in fear, it is safest to force the attack.

• But he'd learned long ago that a life lived without risks pretty much wasn't worth living. Life rewarded courage, even when that first step was taken neck-deep in fear.

• Honest talk about the deficit is risky. Voters are more enthusiastic about the abstract notion of deficit reduction than about the painful details of accomplishing it.

• So what am I willing to do? Do my work heartily, unto the Lord. There is no higher accountability in life than to do something for God. So that's kind of how I operate.

• A young man passes from our public schools to the universities, ignorant almost of the elements of every branch of useful knowledge.

• I would have the Constitution torn in shreds and scattered to the four winds of heaven. Let us destroy the Constitution and build on its ruins the temple of liberty. I have brothers in slavery. I have seen chains placed on their limbs and beheld them captive.

• I made the decision that I was going to make rap music in, like, fourth grade, so it's been something I was saying for a long time.

• To those searching for truth -- not the truth of dogma and darkness but the truth brought by reason, search, examination, and inquiry, discipline is required. For faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction -- faith in fiction is a damnable false hope.

• I just think I just noticed that when I was working on other people's music I found myself missing a bit of the total control I had doing my own.

• Success, however you judge what that even means, brings with it certain pressures.