Vehement quotes

• If you want to change the way people respond to you, change the way you respond to people.

• I love westerns. John Ford is one of the 10 best directors.

• This bill, by vesting the power to withhold or terminate Federal funds, creates a concentration of power of economic coercion unequaled in the history of governments-a power concentration which defies the experience of mankind with the temptation of power to corrupt.

• In diving to the bottom of pleasure we bring up more gravel than pearls.

• Iconic clothing has been secularized. . . . A guardsman in a dress uniform is ostensibly an icon of aggression; his coat is red as the blood he hopes to shed. Seen on a coat-hanger, with no man inside it, the uniform loses all its blustering significance and, to the innocent eye seduced by decorative colour and tactile braid, it is as abstract in symbolic information as a parasol to an Eskimo. It becomes simply magnificent.

• Im concerned about the cost, just like everybody else. Theres no question that we have an obligation to help the people of Louisiana and Mississippi to rebuild.

• Sighing restlessly, the boundless sea broke huge rollers into white cream which hissed hungrily up to the tideline.

• Religion gives us a place to stand outside politics, and without it we're vulnerable to a system in which the state defines everything, which is the essence of tyranny.

• I like people in general, which is why it's fun for me to interact with my fans.

• And that is true in 85 percent of kids; it's kids who live in old, dilapidated, mostly urban housing. But that still leaves 15 percent of the cases that occur in middle- or upper-class families, usually associated with home renovations. People are sanding paint, removing banisters, cleaning up windowsills, and they don't realize that they're spewing lead dust around in the house. And then the kids get it.