Quickening quotes

• The Tibetan missionaries in their mood of bright confidence disconcerted the imperial governments by laughing the new movement into frustration. For a sham faith cannot stand ridicule.

• Why love, if losing hurts so much? I have no answers anymore: only the life I have lived. Twice in that life I've been given the choice: as a boy and as a man. The boy chose safety, the man chooses suffering. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal.

• I think kids abandon stories all the time. They start stories and get frustrated or get a different, better idea. I think that it is more worthwhile to stick with a story and revise it and try to finish it than abandon ship. Revisions, for any writer, are the name of the game.

• It is true that when you're in the White House alone, it is a lonely place. Big and lonely.

• I believe that the brain has evolved over millions of years to be responsive to different kinds of content in the world. Language content, musical content, spatial content, numerical content, etc.

• I don't feel anything when I watch Shaquille O'Neal play. I don't feel anything coming off him.

• Or maybe, he thought now, he just didn't recognize all those other girls. The way a computer drive will spit out a disk if it doesn't recognize the formatting. When he touched Eleanor's hand, he recognized her. He knew.

• I found the poems in the fields And only wrote them down

• So, I am independently well-off and don't have to do anything, but I still do. I write books, lecture around the world, work with scientists and governments.

• We look on those approaching the banks of a river all must cross, with ten times the interest they excited when dancing in the meadow.