Oceania quotes

• My grandmother was energetic and fearless - a talented poet and songwriter. She was also interested in chemistry and history and medicine, taking care of the people in her hacienda in Mexico, delivering babies. She could have become anything, but this was the 1930s, and she was forced into an arranged marriage.

• The condition that is most disagreeable in your life becomes the most useful one. You know, I feel the same way about the U.S. Army. It was absolutely the worst experience of my life, and it was probably the single most valuable experience.

• Black men should be with Black women. And they should love and honor them.

• My mother went to a school called 'The Club of the Three Wise Monkeys'. And my grandmother, my father's mother, had a gold charm for her made with the speak no, see no, hear no evil monkeys. And I was fascinated by that charm. I'd sit in my mother's lap and play with it all the time.

• Each day I live in a glass room unless I break it with the thrusting of my senses and pass through the splintered walls to the great landscape.

• We come from the future, essentially, because we have all these ideas about gender equality, sexual freedom, and these are not shared by the working class, the peasantry among whom we work.

• People ask me 'what was going through your mind in the race?' and I don't know. I try and ...let my body do what it knows

• Life isn’t worth living if you’re scared all the time.

• Take a moment to think about your answer to this question: Am I prepared to have great success and not get any credit for it?

• Ivan Ilych's life had been most simple and most ordinary and therefore most terrible.