Essex quotes

• I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way.

• No occupation is more worthy of an intelligent and enlightened mind, than the study of Nature and natural objects; and whether we labour to investigate the structure and function of the human system, whether we direct our attention to the classification and habits of the animal kingdom, or prosecute our researches in the more pleasing and varied field of vegetable life, we shall constantly find some new object to attract our attention, some fresh beauties to excite our imagination, and some previously undiscovered source of gratification and delight.

• On the weekends I do the usual parental things, going to the boys' football tournaments or getting out for a hike along the Great Wall.

• If we go to church we are confronted with a system of begging so complicated and so resolute that all other demands sink into insignificance by its side.

• The surest sign that you're working with the life-affirming kind of discipline, rather than the spirit-depressing kind, is that you don't complain very much about doing what it takes.

• Know yourself. Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

• There is no way that the heart-lung machine could have been devised and developed other than through studies on living creatures

• It had been a war of kingly poisons, in the air, in the memory, in the blood.

• Dreams are stories made by and for the dreamer, and each dreamer has his own folds to open and knots to untie.

• I know in whom all my highest hopes and dearest joys are centered. I know in whom my whole heart can rest — so sweetly and so surely.