Unmasking quotes

• The United Nations is our conscience. If it succeeds it is our success. If it fails it is our failure.

• Even though conditions such as lack of sleep, insufficient food and various mental stresses may suggest that the inmates were bound to react in certain ways, in the final analysis it becomes clear that the sort of person the prisoner became was the result of an inner decision, and not the result of camp influences alone.

• Yet there are some critics in the nonfiction world who still look at some of today's stranger interpretations of the essay and say "You don't belong here. That's not how we do things." I think that's problematic.

• No, there are three people in a marriage, there's the woman, there's the man, and there's what I call the third person, the most important, the person who is composed of the man and woman together.

• There are times I am happy. There are times I am sad. But I always try to separate emotion from the need to reach for something stronger, deeper. And then no matter the emotion, I can reach for a stability that helps me accomplish what is the goal.

• Imperfection is not our personal problem - it is a natural part of existing.

• What I end up shooting is the situation. I shoot the composition and my subject is going to help the composition or not.

• Disgust is so reassuring; it feels like a moral proof.

• A man should make all he can, and give all he can.

• It was great fun, But it was just one of those things.