Hieroglyphics quotes

• Books, as Dryden has aptly termed them, are spectacles to read nature. Aeschylus and Aristotle, Shakespeare and Bacon, are priests who preach and expound the mysteries of man and the universe. They teach us to understand and feel what we see, to decipher and syllable the hieroglyphics of the senses.
    -- Augustus William Hare

#Book #Men #Hieroglyphics

• As a boy, I used to look upon the hieroglyphics as so many wonderful pictures.
    -- Cecil B. DeMille

#Boys #Looks #Hieroglyphics

• Poetry is the key to the hieroglyphics of nature.
    -- David Hare

#Nature #Keys #Hieroglyphics

• When a mathematician engaged in investigating physical actions and results has arrived at his own conclusions, may they not be expressed in common language as fully, clearly, and definitely as in mathematical formulae? If so, would it not be a great boon to such as well to express them so -- translating them out of their hieroglyphics that we might also work upon them by experiment?
    -- Michael Faraday

#Words Of Wisdom #Hieroglyphics #May

• Behind the hieroglyphic streets there would either be a transcendent meaning, or only the earth.
    -- Thomas Pynchon

#Hieroglyphics #Earth #Paranoia

• It is utterly forbidden to be half-hearted about gardening. You have got to love your garden whether you like it or not.

• If social protest is antithetical to art, what then shall we make of Goya, Dickens, and Twain?

• People are always asking me what the world will be like economically in the year 2000. I do know this: in the year 2000, no matter what else happens, there will still be good food in France.

• Christmas at my house is always at least six or seven times more pleasant than anywhere else. We start drinking early. And while everyone else is seeing only one Santa Claus, we'll be seeing six or seven.

• Royce nodded. “Invest in crossbows. Next time stay hidden and just put a couple bolts into each of your target’s chests. All this talking is just stupid.” “Royce!” Hadrian admonished. “What? You’re always saying I should be nicer to people. I’m trying to be helpful.

• The unexpected has happened so continually in my life that it has ceased to deserve the name.

• forgive what you can't excuse ...

• The lesson is, the rewards in life don't always go to the biggest, or the bravest, or the smartest. The rewards go to the dogged; and when your going though hell, to the person who just keeps going.

• Besides the progress of industry and technique, we see a growing discontent among the masses; we see, besides the expansion ("expansion,", Fr.) of instruction, distrust and hatred expanding among nations ("s'étendre la méfiance et la haine entre," Fr.), that vie with one another ("qui rivalisent à l'envi," Fr.), by the increase of their armies and the improvement of their engines of murder ("engins meurtriers", Fr.).

• It was cold and clammy in the stone cell; they called it the "cooler," and used it to reduce the temperature of the violent and intractable. It was a trouble-saving device; they just left the man there and forgot him, and his own tormented mind did the rest.