Estimating quotes

• The art of drawing conclusions from experiments and observations consists in evaluating probabilities and in estimating whether they are sufficiently great or numerous enough to constitute proofs. This kind of calculation is more complicated and more difficult than it is commonly thought to be. . . .
    -- Antoine Lavoisier

#Art #Drawing #Estimating

• Estimating is what you do when you don't know.
    -- Sherman Kent

#Estimating #Planning

• When I was a graduate student, estimating and interpreting distributed lags topped the agenda of macroeconomists and other applied economists.
    -- Thomas J. Sargent

#Lag #Estimating #Agendas

• If . . . a principle of true Religion [i.e., true Christianity] should . . . gain ground, there is no estimating the effects on public morals, and the consequent influence on our political welfare.
    -- William Wilberforce

#Political #Estimating #Gains

• You’re impinging on my private space,” I said, inching backward. Patch gave a barely-there smile. "Impinging? This isn’t the SAT, Nora.

• Man is evil, by nature man is a beast. People have to be educated from childhood, from kindergarten, that there should be no hatred.

• Some words, you know, it's amazing but some words would come only in French, and when I speak French, it would only come in English. And so the adjustment is very difficult sometimes.

• No one can deal with the hearts of men unless he has the sympathy which is given by love.

• I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100 percent of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to.

• I was brought up in a household with sir and ma'am.

• The problem with Mr. Obama is that you get more regulation and it's a disincentive for businessmen to hire people. You probably also get higher taxes, so in terms of the economy, he is very negative in my view.

• There are in the human mind a group of faculties and in the brain groups of convolutions, and the facts assembled by science so far allow to state, as I said before, that the great regions of the mind correspond to the great regions of the brain.

• And that Michael Irvin would care more about his wardrobe than I would?

• I like to go into the studio and let things happen. I like to just let the session take on. I don't want to have to clock in at nine and end at eight. That's just not me, that's not how my creativity flows.