Fly Fishing quotes

• The more I learn, the less I realize I know.

• The world in general disapproves of creativity, and to be creative in public is particularly bad. Even to speculate in public is rather worrisome.

• We live in oppressive times. We have, as a nation, become our own thought police; but instead of calling the process by which we limit our expression of dissent and wonder ‘censorship,’ we call it ‘concern for commercial viability.

• I always thought I had to earn God's love and approval. I kept trying, but it never seemed like I could do it, and I thought, "Man, what's wrong with me?" A friend of mine was like, "Man, you're full of it. You're trying to do what Christ has already done: You're trying to earn your salvation and you can't - it's a free gift." It sounded too good to be true. He said, "You need to start reading the Bible for yourself and stop taking everyone else's word for it." When I really started to do this, I realized God loved me no matter what.

• When the imagination and will power are in conflict, are antagonistic, it is always the imagination which wins, without any exception.

• Tooting my own horn is of no interest to me... it takes you away from real life. It's a waste, and I don't find a need to sing my own praises.

• Living through art is a better way to live - not necessarily making art, but being surrounded by art. I think it's just as banal as trying to show my version of the beauty in the world. It's about beauty at the end of the day.

• If I had to choose my best day ever, my finest hour, my wildest dream come true, mine would be you.

• I'd love to be animated. I've always wanted to jump off of a bridge and not be hurt, like Bugs Bunny.

• It’s so dangerous to idealize anything, or anyone, or any place, because it gives that thing or person or place a kind of permission to not have to change, and not have to evolve. It encourages us to bury our heads in the sand, or in values that are really morally neutral but that we pretend are moral goods: tradition, community and family for example.