Your Wall quotes

• When a novelist or screenwriter is looking for a subject, the element he's seeking is conflict. Conflict makes drama. Conflict produces great characters and memorable scenes. So war is a natural topic.

• The Great Convergence: Asia, the West and the Logic of One World.

• If you mention Adolf Hitler or Nazis within a discussion thread, you've automatically ended whatever discussion you were taking part in.

• There's another little vision in my life, going into a restaurant in New York years ago: All the women are sitting in their little strapless dresses with their cleavage, and there's this one woman in a sleeveless turtleneck and pants. And I can tell you that every man in that restaurant looked at that woman's arms. It was hypnotizing when everything was covered up. Just the face, the conversation - and you see the arms. And the arms and the hands become an obsession. I like that.

• For five hundred years after Walther's death - until Goethe - no German lyric poet was his equal.

• Oh, how hard it is to part with power! This one has to understand.

• You know, larger than life is always better than smaller than life in politicians. And, you know, God save us from mediocrities.

• I think the whole concept that women aren't funny is dead. It's over; it's done.

• Business demands faith, compels earnestness, requires courage, is honestly selfish, is penalized for mistakes, and is the essence of life.

• Just because something 'is' doesn't mean that it should be.