Vim quotes

• How would I behave in a situation that caused me to summon the essence of my character? The tragedy inspired me to test myself. I wanted to reveal to myself who I was: the kind of person who died, or the kind of person who overcame circumstances to help himself and others

• So-called 'undesirables' are not the problem. It is the measures taken to combat them that is the problem.

• Feminism seeks to turn the biggest, bloodiest carnivore in the world - passion - into a right-on cud-chewing vegan. It can never work. Sex was never meant to be that way. Sex, on the whole, was meant to be short, nasty and brutish. If what you want is cuddling, you should buy a puppy.

• Strangers are welcome because there is room enough for them all, and therefore the old Inhabitants are not jealous of them; the Laws protect them sufficiently so that they have no need of the Patronage of great Men; and every one will enjoy securely the Profits of his Industry. But if he does not bring a Fortune with him, he must work and be industrious to live.

• Having to read footnotes resembles having to go downstairs to answer the door while in the midst of making love.

• As soon as we associate reading with a test, we've missed the point.

• I understand Jacqueline Kennedy has redone the White House in eighteenth-century style. Why, then, I'd fit in perfectly.

• Memory is not about what went on in the past, it is about what is going on inside us right this moment. Â… It is made up of the stuff of life in the process of becoming the grist of the soul.

• I've spent my whole working life standing up for workers. Didn't matter if it was the two trapped miners at Beaconsfield or professional netballers or indeed factory workers or construction workers.

• I think your vision gets better as you get older.