Sawdust quotes

• Hey, I can cook." "How do you know? You haven't eaten anything since before the Norman Conquest." "I've never had any complaints." "Given the infants you date, I'm not surprised. You could serve them sawdust and they'd eat it with a smile, dazzled by the swing of your broadsword." "What do you know about the swing of my broadsword?" "More than I care to. Women talk." Which shut him up, as he started wondering who'd said what.
    -- Angela Knight

#Swings #Hey #Sawdust

• I've had my best times when trailing a Mainbocher evening gown across a sawdust floor. I've always loved high style in low company.
    -- Anita Loos

#Style #Gowns #Sawdust

• [History is] that terrible mill in which sawdust rejoins sawdust.
    -- Edith Sitwell

#History #Sawdust #Mills

• The fuel of the future is going to come from fruit like that sumach out by the road, or from apples, weeds, sawdust -- almost anything,
    -- Henry Ford

#Weed #Apples #Sawdust

• You're one third bad intentions,one third pure avarice,and one eighth sawdust.What's left,I'll credit,must be brains.
    -- Scott Lynch

#Brain #Credit #Sawdust

• It was like sawdust, the unhappiness: it infiltrated everything, everything was a problem, everything made her cry - school, homework, boyfriends, the future, the lack of future, the uncertainty of future, fear of future, fear in general - but it was so hard to say exactly what the problem was in the first place.
    -- Melanie Thernstrom

#School #Unhappy #Sawdust

• Humor is a hole that lets the sawdust out of a stuffed shirt.
    -- John McKeithen

#Humor #Sawdust #Shirts

• The burning conviction that we have a holy duty towards others is often a way of attaching our drowning selves to a passing raft. What looks like a giving hand is often a holding on for dear life. Take away our holy duties and you leave our lives puny and meaningless. There is no doubt that in exchanging a self-centered for a selfless life we gain enormously in self-esteem. The vanity of the selfless, even those who practice utmost humility, is boundless.

• I realized I was tired of singing about trees and flowers. I wanted to sing about real life. From then on, nobody could tell me anything was better than blues.

• When everything is lost, and all seems darkness, then comes the new life and all that is needed.

• Schools often get the teachers they deserve!

• What pretty bright trout there are in this bold rock creek! It would full be called a river in England, and so it is!

• Everything turns out to be valuable that one does for one’s self without thought of profit.

• You're never a loser until you quit trying.

• For, "Yes," he had sighed on his dying breath, and all knew that was the ultimate prayer one could offer to life.

• Irony is the hygiene of the mind.

• I like to go to Mauritius on holiday.