Yeats quotes

• Blake has always been a favorite, the lyrics, not so much the prophetic books, but I suppose Yeats influenced me more as a young poet, and the American, Robert Frost.
    -- Anne Stevenson

#Book #Frost #Yeats

• The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.
    -- Hector Hugh Munro

#Hammocks #Stories #Yeats

• When I was starting to write, the great influence was T.S. Eliot and after that William Butler Yeats.
    -- Howard Nemerov

#Writing #Literature #Yeats

• I didn't want to be like Yeats; I wanted to be Yeats.
    -- John Berryman

#Writing #Want #Yeats

• Yeats was the greatest poet of our times . . . certainly the greatest in this language, and so far as I am able to judge, in any language.
    -- T. S. Eliot

#Judging #Able #Yeats

• Most of my influences from outside the commerical strange fiction genre came in with university, discovering James Joyce and Wallace Stevens, Blake and Yeats, Pinter and Borges. And meanwhile within those genres I was discovering Gibson and Shepard, Jeter and Powers, Lovecraft and Peake.
    -- Hal Duncan

#Jeter #Fiction #Yeats

• The unity of government which constitutes you one people is also now dear to you. It is justly so, for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquility at home, your peace abroad, of your safety, of your prosperity, of that very liberty which you so highly prize.

• Pain is my daily routine. As long as I don't go to the hospital, it's nothing for me.

• Always be your husband's best friend, make him laugh and give him a little bit of freedom - you can't suffocate him.

• The guillotine is the ultimate expression of Law, and its name is vengeance; it is not neutral, nor does it allow us to remain neutral.

• Every time I left for the battlefield I promised this to myself; I must live to see you again. In order to protect you, I promised myself that I must win.

• London on your own actually seems more exotic than Egypt on a tour.

• Helpless, tortured, shot, blown up, my best buddies all dead, and all because we were afraid of the liberals back home, afraid to do what was necessary to save our own lives. Afraid of American civilian lawyers. I have only one piece of advice for what it's worth: If you don't want to get into a war where things go wrong, where the wrong people sometimes get killed, where innocent people sometimes have to die, then stay the hell out of it in the first place.

• Just because we play in the NBA or coach in the NBA doesn't mean we are not human. We are supermen. For me, getting shot is scary.

• I'm the hip-hop Quincy Jones of today

• Some writers find that they don't know their themes until they've finished the first draft (I am one). They then rewrite with an eye toward balancing on that tightrope: not too contrived, not too rambling; does what I'm saying about the world below me actually add up to anything? Other writers pay attention to these things as they write the first draft. Either way, an awareness of the macro and micro levels of theme can provide one more tool for thinking about what you should write, and how.