High School Graduation quotes

• After wisdom comes wit.

• Isn't it nice to know that you can put a worm on your hook and get a fish all charged up?

• Most poets' revisions are disastrous. They buckle and dent what was originally forged at a red-hot heat.

• Our mythology tells us so much about fathers and sons. ... What do we know about mothers and daughters? ... Our power is so oblique, so hidden, so ethereal a matter, that we rarely struggle with our daughters over actual kingdoms or corporate shares. On the other hand, our attractiveness dries as theirs blooms, our journey shortens just as theirs begins. We too must be afraid and awed and amazed that we cannot live forever and that our replacements are eager for their turn, indifferent to our wishes, ready to leave us behind.

• The poem is at last between two persons instead of two pages. In all modesty, I confess that it may be the death of literature as we know it.

• I heard the old, old, men say 'all that's beautiful drifts away, like the waters.'

• Horses (thou say'st) and ***** men may try, And ring suspected vessels ere they buy; But wives, a random choice, untried they take; They dream in courtship, but in wedlock wake; Then, nor till then, the veil's removed away, And all the woman glares in open day.

• I would say I was a philosophical boy. Thoughts about 'identical stones' are the earliest philosophical thoughts I remember. But when I was a teenager I also thought about the more typical philosophical problems teenagers think about: the existence of god, the objectivity of morality, whether one can know that the external world exists.

• I enjoyed Old Man's War immensely. A space war story with fast action, vivid characters, moral complexity and cool speculative physics, set in a future you almost want to live into, and a universe you sincerely hope you don't live in already.

• So what used to fit in a building now fits in your pocket, what fits in your pocket now will fit inside a blood cell in 25 years.