Duplicity quotes

• Three or four threads may be agitated, like telegraph wires, at the same time, and if I were to tap them all I would reveal such a mixture of innocence and duplicity, generosity and calculation, fear and courage, I cannot tell the whole truth simply because I would have to write four journals at once.
    -- Anais Nin

#Writing #Duplicity #Generosity

• Even the world, that despises simplicity, does not profess to approve of duplicity.
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Duplicity #Simplicity #Doe

• The great majority of us are required to live a constant, systematic duplicity. Your health is bound to be affected by it if, day after day, you say the opposite of what you feel, you grovel before what you dislike and rejoice at what bring brings you nothing but misfortune. Our nervous system isn’t just a fiction, it’s part of our physical body, and our soul exists in space and is inside us, like teeth in our mouth. It can’t be forever violated with impunity.
    -- Boris Pasternak

#Life #Duplicity #Space

• A wartime Minister of Information is compelled, in the national interest, to such continuous acts of duplicity that even his natural hair must grow to resemble a wig.
    -- Claud Cockburn

#Hair #Duplicity #Wigs

• There’s a special place in hell for men who convince women their intuition is insecurity to protect their duplicity.
    -- dream hampton

#Men #Duplicity #Insecurity

• Duplicity is necessary in daily life, in that it covers many unpleasant things from sight, so they may not disturb the pleasure of others.
    -- Edouard Rene de Laboulaye

#Duplicity #Sight #May

• Heavenly Father - take to thee The supreme iniquity Fashioned by thy candid Hand In a moment contraband - Though to trust us seem to us More respectful - We are Dust - We apologize to thee For thine own Duplicity.
    -- Emily Dickinson

#Father #Duplicity #Dust

• Extremism in defense of liberty is not a vice, but I denounce political extremism, of the left or the right, based on duplicity, falsehood, fear, violence and threats when they endanger liberty.
    -- George W. Romney

#Duplicity #Political #Liberty

• One dupe is as impossible as one twin.
    -- John Sterling

#Duplicity #Dupes #Impossible

• A duplicitous country with a duplicitous leadership is going to give us more duplicity. And that duplicity is going lead us off an abyss. That's going to happen.
    -- Matt Shea

#Inspiring #Country #Duplicity

• Deliver us from evil - from moral duplicity and weakness, from laziness and spiritual complacency, from those lies we tell ourselves from our fear of facing the truth.
    -- Rich Mullins

#Spiritual #Lying #Duplicity

• Some people demand a five-line capsule summary. Something you'd read in a magazine. They want you to say, 'This is the story of the duality of man and the duplicity of governments.' I hear people try to do it -- give the five-line summary -- but if a film has any substance or subtlety, whatever you say is never complete, it's usually wrong, and it's necessarily simplistic: truth is too multifaceted to be contained in a five-line summary. If the work is good, what you say about it is usually irrelevant.
    -- Stanley Kubrick

#Men #Duplicity #Giving

• Those who blamed aggression formed Amity.’… ‘Those who blamed ignorance became the Erudite.’… ‘Those who blamed duplicity created Candor.’… ‘Those who blamed selfishness made Abnegation.’… ‘And those who blamed cowardice were the Dauntless.
    -- Veronica Roth

#Ignorance #Duplicity #Selfishness

• The upside of being in the closet is that you develop skills of duplicity, which are great for big-time politicians.
    -- Kirby Dick

#Skills #Duplicity #Politician

• Sometimes duplicity and treason are markers of the enemy, and sometimes, the failed intention of a masterful ally. But, nevertheless, as they burden you with a vexing brand of love, they become nothing more than the kiss of Judas, pressing a crown of thorns into your flesh.
    -- Addison Webster Moore

#Kissing #Duplicity #Enemy

• You have to be closer to religious origins -- the generation of the 20's was truly secular in that it still knew its theology and its varieties of religious experience. We are post-secular, inventing new faiths, without any sense of organizing truths. The truths we accept are so multiple that honesty becomes little more than a strategy by which you manage your tendencies toward duplicity.
    -- Ann Douglas

#Religious #Honesty #Duplicity

• There’s a special place in hell for men who convince women their intuition is insecurity to protect their duplicity.
    -- dream hampton

#Men #Duplicity #Insecurity