Outlandish quotes

• I was with Shaq at his home the day he retired. It was innovative for him to become the media and announce via social media that he was retiring.

• They don't have the news media set up in Africa that we do in the United States, where televisions are so accessible and newspapers and magazines are able to educate people.

• The trace I leave to me means at once my death, to come or already come, and the hope that it will survive me. It is not an ambition of immortality; it is fundamental. I leave here a bit of paper, I leave, I die; it is impossible to exit this structure; it is the unchanging form of my life. Every time I let something go, I live my death in writing.

• When you write a book, you spend day after day scanning and identifying the trees. When you’re done, you have to step back and look at the forest.

• If there is anything that the ACLU hates more than censorship, it is any form of public religious expression.

• It's painful, but it's part of the recognition that makes real healing possible, if healing is possible (the jury is out on that, that's the usual phrase - should I say the jury is deadlocked?). Staying with the pain, attending to it, being present to and with it - that's the task, because that's the only (as far as I can tell) hope of finding a way forward.

• Saffy could tell by the feel of the darkness that Caddy was awake. She said, "Caddy, how far back can you remember?" "Oh," said Caddy, "ages. I can remember when I could only lie flat. On my back. I can remember how pleased I was when I learned to roll over.

• You know, I don't think, you know, therapy never ends, really.

• Writing always means hiding something in such a way that it then is discovered.

• I feel I am a little bit older. Reckon I will start growing a beard next week.