Kepler quotes

• The heavens declare the glory of Kepler and Newton.
    -- Auguste Comte

#Heaven #Atheism #Kepler

• [Kepler] preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions, and that is the heart of science.
    -- Carl Sagan

#Heart #Science #Kepler

• My dear Kepler, what would you say of the learned here, who, replete with the pertinacity of the asp, have steadfastly refused to cast a glance through the telescope? What shall we make of this? Shall we laugh, or shall we cry?
    -- Galileo Galilei

#Laughing #Kepler #Telescopes

• Today is just the beginning of Kepler. Because of its super energy-efficient architecture, we will extend GPUs into datacenters, to super thin notebooks, to superphones.
    -- Jen-Hsun Huang

#Notebook #Energy #Kepler

• Experimental investigation, to borrow a phrase employed by Kepler respecting the testing of hypotheses, is "a very great thief of time." Sometimes it costs many days to determine a fact that can be stated in a line.
    -- John William Draper

#Science #Thieves #Kepler

• It was an addiction. A pointless, self-destructive addiction. But really, is there any other kind?

• [Walter Burns is] the archetypal managing editor-ruthless, self-righteous, manipulative, downright maniacal if it means an exclusive, especially one that it can congratulate itself for on its own front page.

• I understand why people went nuts for 'The Artist.' We use words so much, it's nice to be able to explore a different way of communication, to be able to express silently what someone - or something - is thinking or feeling.

• Economy does not lie in sparing money, but in spending it wisely.

• Sometimes people get really sniffy about the films you choose if you've done more dramatic projects or you're classically trained.

• I want out of the labels. I don't want my whole life crammed into a single word. A story. I want to find something else, unknowable, some place to be that's not on the map. A real adventure.' A spinx. A mystery. A blank. Unknown. Undefined.

• You think the end justifies the means, however vile. I tell you: the end is the means by which you achieve it. Today's step is tomorrow's life. Great ends cannot be attained by base means. You've proved that in all your social upheavals. The meanness and inhumanity of the means make you mean and inhuman and make the end unattainable.

• The good life consists in deriving happiness by using your signature strengths every day in the main realms of living. The meaningful life adds one more component: using these same strengths to forward knowledge, power, or goodness. A life that does this is pregnant with meaning, and if God comes at the end, such a life is sacred.

• A few years ago I lost 30 pounds, and people still wanted to criticize. And honestly, I'm happy with myself if I'm a little heavier. I realized: 'Why am I trying to conform to someone else's idea of beauty?' I think I'm beautiful either way.

• No tricks, gimmicks, special pills, special potions, special equipment. All it takes is desire and will.