Brokenness quotes

• That's also part of having great editors -- they can sort of be honest with you and say, "I see where you're headed with this, but I don't think it's there yet. Dig deeper, babe, and come back with something more." And that's what you do, you dig waaaaaaaay down and you walk around the block eight million times and then you have it -- shazam! And it all comes together in something soooo much better than you thought you were capable of.

• The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them.

• I am a big believer in love. Love for me is what got me through.

• Fertilizer does no good in a heap, but a little spread around works miracles all over.

• I think we all have a core that's ecstatic, that knows and that looks up in wonder. We all know that there are marvelous moments of eternity that just happen. We know them.

• The best weapons of a Jew are his prayers.

• Better the hard truth, I say, than the comforting fantasy.

• Working with Brando was fun. It was like a tennis match. We played unbelievably well together.

• The three most written-about subjects of all time are Jesus, the Civil War, and the Titanic.

• I wouldn't have been what you'd call a champion if I had accepted failure when it first came, if I had looked at it and said, 'Well, that's it.'