Hull quotes

• Schweitzer in the Congo did not derive more moral credit than Larkin did for living in Hull.
    -- Alan Bennett

#Hull #Credit #Moral

• It was also my experience at Hull-House that aroused my interest in industrial diseases.
    -- Alice Hamilton

#House #Hull #Disease

• Pressure hulls collapse at the speed of sound. Once that starts, you're inside your own little imploding atomic bomb, and you're gone.
    -- Graham Hawkes

#Sound #Hull #Gone

• From Day One the very existence of [Camp Bravo] has been a popcorn hull in the tender gums of the hard left.
    -- James Lileks

#Hull #Popcorn #Gum

• As far as I'm concerned, an audience is an audience. Whether it's an audience in Hull or the National Theatre, that's who you play to. It's not money - it's good to get some, but that's not why I do it. You do it because you have to, to tell a story.
    -- Sylvester McCoy

#Play #Theatre #Hull

• Let the Truth be known, no ship is unsinkable. The bigger the ship, the easier it is to sink her. I learned long ago that if you design how a ship'll sink, you can keep her afloat. I proposed all the watertight compartments and the double hull to slow these ships from sinking. In that way, you get everyone off. There's time for help to arrive, and the ship's less likely to break apart and kill someone while she's going down.
    -- Thomas Andrews

#Long #Design #Hull

• Whether it is a big ship or small ship, the same size hole placed correctly in the hull can sink it.
    -- Ed Parker

#Art #Hull #Ships

• And, in nineteen seventy two Olympic Games I wasn't really going to be a star, and overnight I became a star.

• It's not up to Google, it's not up to Apple to turn over our personal communications in order to save the country. It's up to the CIA and it's up to the FBI to recruit foreign - I mean to recruit human sources, rather, to penetrate these groups.

• We cannot look to the conscience of the world when our own conscience is asleep.

• I dodged behind Mac for cover and refused to take the bait. I glanced at my nonexistent watch. 'Oops, look at the time. Guess I have to be going now. Let's not do this again sometime, okay?' Before I could move, Pritkin was there, jamming the medallion into the skin of my upper arm.'Ow!'He looked at me expectantly. I glared at him. 'That hurt!' What do you see?' A big red mark,

• [Shoji] Hamada seldom drew an exact drawing of a pot that he was going to make.

• Wisdom and beauty form a very rare combination.

• Every author, however modest, keeps a most outrageous vanity chained like a madman in the padded cell of his breast.

• The Beatles were raw musically, but I think they really had something.

• Any story you've heard of my behavior is probably true.

• Being here? With you? I've met my subconscious, and he's not that sick.