Ells quotes

• You moon the wrong person at an office party and suddenly you're not 'professional' any more.

• I was fortunate because I had parents who believed that being a writer was a perfectly acceptable thing to want to be. They'd actually hoped that I might be an artist, and I was lucky again to grow up with people who delighted in making things: my father wove baskets and painted furniture and carved wood figures; my mother quilted and embroidered and sewed.

• People like to say, "You're only as old as you feel," but it isn't true. It's just something old people say to make themselves feel good about their age. You're as old as you are.

• To suggest that conservatives have a monopoly on hate is an ideological mugging of reality.

• Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me. I see paintings or drawings in the poorest cottages, in the dirtiest corners. And my mind is driven towards these things with an irresistible momentum.

• An insult directed at the wicked is not to be censured; on the contrary, the honest man, if he has sense, can only applaud.

• It is a great shock at the age of five or six to find that in a world of Gary Coopers you are the Indian.

• And I think maybe all women, if they just had a chance, would be romantic and believe in love and not sex. And men believe in sex and not love.

• In sheer genius Pascal ranks among the very greatest writers who have lived upon this earth. And his genius was not simply artistic; it displayed itself no less in his character and in the quality of his thought.

• We learned that what happens when we are alone with the Lord determines how intimate and deep the worship will be when we come together.