Exertion quotes

• Everybody agrees that whatever the solutions are to the big problems, they ... can never be without some element of education.

• The thing about writing or making art is that I'm not thinking about that stuff while I'm doing it. Like the driver's ed kid, in retrospect I see that that was meaningful, and I felt close to him in that way, but at the time I just thought it was fun to draw, and that's all it was. I think that's what's weird about life and about making art. You have to talk about it later. I guess I should be prepared to talk about it now. That is why I'm here. But again, pass.

• This body is fragile. It is just flesh. Listen to the heartbeat. Life depends on the pumping of a muscle.

• What is a scientist?... We give the name scientist to the type of man who has felt experiment to be a means guiding him to search out the deep truth of life, to lift a veil from its fascinating secrets, and who, in this pursuit, has felt arising within him a love for the mysteries of nature, so passionate as to annihilate the thought of himself.

• Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

• I grew up with very hands-on jobs. I was raised on a farm and taught to work hard. In this high-tech, high-speed society, somewhere along the line, we got the message that if we're not a brain surgeon or an astronaut, we really shouldn't be proud of ourselves.

• The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages - as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already.

• For me--I hold no commerce with despair!

• I fear if I cannot think again, if my mind suddenly goes blank. It will be embarrassing.

• So rich people could go slumming? Come on, give me a break [it’s a] masturbatory fantasy for Anna Wintour and Vogue. They always go and try to co-opt what they can’t own. They try to co-opt authenticity and turn it into something boring.