Kitchen Table quotes

• Writers, as they gain success, feel like outsiders because writers don't come together in real groups.

• Yesterday I was lying, today I am telling the truth.

• Knowledge and belief are sometimes worlds apart.

• When you get in the mud with a pig, you get dirty and the pig gets happy.

• The only person who can confine you is yourself.

• The music has to drive you. That's just it. You follow it. You follow the songs.

• I think you have to be schizoid three different ways to be an actor ... You have to be a human being. Then you have to be the character you're playing. And on top of that you've got to be the guy sitting out there in Row 10, watching yourself and judging yourself. That's why most of us are crazy to start with, or go nuts once we get into it.

• It's always the case for writers that when there are limitations, you have the opportunity for your creativity really to blossom and to become deeper and fuller and to move in directions that you wouldn't have discovered on your own.

• What is Christian in art does not lie in the theme but in the spirit of it, in its wisdom and the understanding of reality it reflects.

• No writer need feel sorry for himself if he writes and enjoys it, even if he doesn't get paid.