Hopes And Fears quotes

• I seem to be thinking rationally again in the style that is characteristic of scientists. However, this is not entirely a matter of joy as if someone returned from physical disability to good physical health.

• Weak mortals, chained to the earth, creatures of clay as frail as the foliage of the woods, you unfortunate race, whose life is but darkness, as unreal as a shadow, the illusion of a dream.

• Without the eye, the head is blind. Without the head, the eye is adrift.

• Do the work. Do the analysis. But feel your run. Feel your race. Feel the joy that is running.

• To give reason for fancy were to weigh the fire, and measure the wind.

• Lots of times you have to pretend to join a parade in which you're not really interested in order to get where you're going.

• You don’t have to sleep with prostitutes or take drugs in order to have a relationship with organized crime. They affect our bank accounts. They affect our communications, our pension funds. They even affect the food that we eat and our governments.

• Some days you feel like this is really going well. You can tell. Other days, you're just drawing like a farmer and you don't know why.

• I envy the sensibility in Europe, appreciating beauty in women as they age. I'm going to go that way. I might dye my gray hair for a bit, but beyond that the buck stops. I'm not having any work done.

• I have not seen that standardised tests make the profession less attractive, though some principals respond to them in a way that drives the best teachers out of their schools (by over-emphasising test prep in the school curriculum for example). On the other hand, great teachers want benchmarks to measure progress and tests can help with that.