Housekeeping quotes

• Learning how to love your neighbor requires a willingness to draw on the strength of Jesus Christ as you die to self and live for Him. Living in this manner allows you to practice biblical love for others in spite of adverse circumstances or your feelings to the contrary.

• To my father, who told me the stories that matter. To my mother, who taught me to remember them.

• Soon madness has worn you down. It’s easier to do what it says than argue. In this way, it takes over your mind. You no longer know where it ends and you begin. You believe anything it says. You do what it tells you, no matter how extreme or absurd. If it says you’re worthless, you agree. You plead for it to stop. You promise to behave. You are on your knees before it, and it laughs.

• People love stories. They need stories.

• I am afraid we are little better than straws upon the water; we may flatter ourselves that we swim, when the current carries us along.

• envy, as a rule, is of success rather than of merit. No one would have objected to his talent deserving recognition - only to his getting it.

• My goal with The Adventures of Captain Underpants was to invent a style which was almost identical to that of a picture book - in a novel format. So I wrote incredibly short chapters and tried to fill each page with more pictures than words. I wanted to create a book that kids who don't like to read would want to read.

• Surely the vogue of those twisted and contorted human figures must be as short as it is artificial.

• When I make a bad play, it frustrates the heck out of me, even in practice.

• When Henry Ford said, "The customer can have a car in any color as long as it's black," he was not joking.