Unknowing quotes

• Don’t confuse progress with winning.

• If someone with whom one is having an affair keeps on mentioning some woman whom he knew in the past, however long ago it is since they separated, one is always irritated.

• The vulgar mind always mistakes the exceptional for the important.

• I certainly think that the best book in the world would owe the most to a good index, and the worst book, if it had but a single good thought in it, might be kept alive by it.

• And I don't know if Batty's gotten over it yet,' said Skye. Mr. Penderwick looked out the window to where Batty was playing vampires with Hound. Hound was on his back, trying to wiggle out of the black towel Batty had tied around his neck. Batty was leaping over Hound's water bowl, shrieking, 'Blood, blood!' 'She looks all right,' he said.

• We all laced together—a brothel madam, an English professor, a mute cook, a quadroon cabbie, and me, the girl carrying a bucket of lies and throwing them like confetti.

• The inventions and the great discoveries have opened up whole continents to reciprocal communication and interchange, provided we are willing.

• There is a single entendre, but I don't know about a triple one.

• Reading scripts is actually quite a relaxing part of the job. Strangely relaxing. This is a whole different ball game.

• If anyone assert the fabulous pre-existence of souls and shall submit to the monstrous doctrine that follows from it, let him be anathema [excommunicated]