Your Absence quotes

• A mental stain can neither be blotted out by the passage of time nor washed away by any waters.

• For me, books have always been a way to feel less alone while being alone. Perhaps if I was depressed and isolated, just communicating with these authors through their sentences helped me.

• One of my pet theories is that readers have built-in BS detectors that enable them to recognize insincerity in writers. David [Halberstam] was sincerity to the core. He believed in what he wrote, and that conviction conveyed itself to readers.

• But that's the hardest part of healing.' What?' Realizing there's no one to hate.

• Talent is long patience.

• Even potential human life needs to be treated with great respect.

• Nature is cold, wet, hard and unforgiving.

• I would try and help everybody, because the game was so easy for me. It was just like walking in the park.

• The aim was simple: to deprive Karpov of his favourite occupation - standing at the board, staring straight at his opponent. While I was wearing these glasses, all he could admire was his own reflection.

• There is no such thing as a homosexual or a heterosexual person. There are only homo- or heterosexual acts. Most people are a mixture of impulses if not practices.