Yorktown quotes

• The good news was that Enterprise and the newly arrived Yorktown had attacked the Marshall and Gilbert islands. Those attacks had a great effect on morale.
    -- Jack Adams

#Islands #News #Yorktown

• When the Revolutionary War ended in 1781, not everyone was celebrating. It is estimated that between 15 and 20 percent of the population back then were loyal to the British Crown and thus were not so thrilled when Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown.
    -- Rachel Martin

#War #Crowns #Yorktown

• Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions.

• I soon became convinced... that all the theorizing would be empty brain exercise and therefore a waste of time unless one first ascertained what the population of the universe really consists of.

• That's universal - we all want to bring every good thing to our children. But what's not universal is our ability to provide every good thing.

• Where is the Palestinian Gandhi?

• There is something about the Himalayas not possessed by the Alps, something unseen and unknown, a charm that pervades every hour spent among them, a mystery intriguing and disturbing. Confronted by them, a man loses his grasp of ordinary things, perceiving himself as immortal, an entity capable of outdistancing all changes, all decay, all life, all death.

• I loved school. But when I started 'Party of Five' in the fifth grade, I was taken out of school and tutored on the set.

• I was born in a small suburb of Ilford in a rather nasty housing estate that my mother despised. She had grown up in the country, so when the war came and I was evacuated to Wales she thought I was much better off there.

• Looking back, I wince at the careless way I tossed out my opinions.

• I don't want to be a big star. I just want to get my message across.

• Isn’t there a time or two you can remember when somehow an animal you’ve hunted has done something to make you let him vanish in the woods? … Isn’t there a bird or covey that somehow always manages to catch you with your gun on safe — even when you know it’s there? “I think we all know times that for almost certain we gave the hunt to the quarry.