Opaque quotes

• The earth is heavy and opaque without dreams.
    -- Anais Nin

#Dream #Earth #Opaque

• In reality the workings of your governing system are opaque and covert, while hiding in the chattering spotlight of an ostensible transparency, even though the ultimate objective is clear.
    -- Breyten Breytenbach

#Reality #Spotlight #Opaque

• I realized in the early days I just didn't edit at all. But I think you become a little more cagey with your lyrics when you know more people are going to hear them and make assumptions about you as a person. Realizing that, you want to be a little more opaque.
    -- Eddie Vedder

#Thinking #People #Opaque

• ...though one can be callous in Ireland one cannot be wholly opaque or material. An unearthly disturbance works in the spirit; reason can never reconcile one to life; nothing allays the wants one cannot explain.
    -- Elizabeth Bowen

#Opaque #Want #Spirit

• Before men we stand as opaque bee-hives. They can see the thoughts go in and out of us; but what work they do inside of a man they cannot tell. Before God we are as glass bee-hives, and all that our thoughts are doing within us he perfectly sees and understands.
    -- Henry Ward Beecher

#Men #Glasses #Opaque

• Life may be seen through many windows, none of them necessarily clear or opaque, less or more distorting than any of the others.
    -- Isaiah Berlin

#Life #Opaque #May

• The new experience that has replaced dignified suffering is artificially prolonged, opaque, depersonalized maintenance.
    -- Ivan Illich

#Suffering #Maintenance #Opaque

• Things are opaque to us, and we are opaque to ourselves.
    -- Jacques Maritain

#Opaque

• Businesses can be opaque. They are complex. You don't know how aircraft engines work either.
    -- Jamie Dimon

#Risk #Opaque #Management

• Art pierces opaque subjectivity, the not seeing of conventional life, and discloses reality.
    -- Langdon Brown Gilkey

#Art #Reality #Opaque

• But nothing is more opaque than absolute transparency.
    -- Margaret Atwood

#Opaque #Transparency

• More than its utilitarian and technocratic transparency, it is the opaque ambivalence of its oddities that makes the city livable.
    -- Michel de Certeau

#Cities #Oddities #Opaque

• We exist for ourselves, perhaps, and at times we even have a glimmer of who we are, but in the end we can never be sure, and as our lives go on, we become more and more opaque to ourselves, more and more aware of our own incoherence. No one can cross the boundary into another – for the simple reason that no one can gain access to himself.
    -- Paul Auster

#Simple #Goes On #Opaque

• Poetry depends on being simultaneously opaque and transparent. It can't be only one or the other. The pebble and the pool.
    -- Peter J. Daniels

#Poetry #Opaque #Pebbles

• French is not a language that lends itself naturally to the opaque and ponderous idiom of nature-philosophy, and Teilhard has according resorted to the use of that tipsy, euphoristic prose-poetry which is one of the more tiresome manifestations of the French spirit.
    -- Peter Medawar

#Philosophy #Use #Opaque

• Glamour is translucent — not transparent, not opaque. It invites us into the world but it doesn’t give us a completely clear picture.
    -- Virginia Postrel

#Giving #World #Opaque

• I can't move my body slowly. I can't move the line slowly. So I end up with way too much, often opaque to me later.
    -- Martha Ronk

#Moving #Body #Opaque

• Our technologised society is becoming opaque. As technology becomes more ubiquitous and our relationship with digital devices ever more seamless, our technical infrastructure seems to be increasingly intangible.
    -- Honor Harger

#Technology #Opaque #Digital