Vex quotes

• Manners are of more importance than laws. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe.
    -- Edmund Burke

#Air #Law #Vex

• The fear of God is freedom, joy, and peace; And makes all ills that vex us here to cease.
    -- Edmund Waller

#Fear #Joy #Vex

• It vexes me when they would constrain science by the authority of the Scriptures, and yet do not consider themselves bound to answer reason and experiment.
    -- Galileo Galilei

#Answers #Vex #Scripture

• I began to understand that suffering and disappointments and melancholy are there not to vex us or cheapen us or deprive us of our dignity but to mature and transfigure us.
    -- Hermann Hesse

#Disappointment #Suffering #Vex

• It is an excellent rule to be observed in all disputes, that men should give soft words and hard arguments; that they should not so much strive to vex as to convince each other.
    -- John Wilkins

#Men #Giving #Vex

• Vex not thy spirit at the course of things, they heed not thy vexations
    -- Marcus Aurelius

#Vex #Vexation #Spirit

• It is not right to vex ourselves at things, for they care not about it.
    -- Marcus Aurelius

#Care #Vex

• Everything's either concave or -vex, so whatever you dream will be something with sex.
    -- Piet Pieterszoon Hein

#Dream #Sex #Vex

• The worst thing about me is my toes. I've thick joints from wearing pointe ballet shoes - I went to a dance school from the age of 11 and danced every day.

• Most products are ugly. The harsh reality is that in many of these markets, form follows funding. And that products go where the market takes them.

• Once you accept that perfection is just a goal, screwing up isn't so hard to handle. Each misstep is still a step, another lesson learned, another opportunity to get it right the next time.

• If you can't play the Blues you might as well hang it up.

• Eventually the revolutionaries become the established culture, and then what will they do

• My two sons speak Hebrew, and are familiar with the scriptures and with rabbinic literature. This is the way we live.

• I said to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, 'You realize that's the first time anybody associated with the league has made that connection?' And I remember, he was a litttle... annoyed. He was annoyed.

• When we show people that something is possible that they didn't think was possible it does more than just change things. It changes the way people think about the possibility of things changing. It helps them see that life is not the same day-after day, unsurprising, unending drudgery that so much of life teaches them that it is. And that is a huge contribution to their humanity.

• The Massachusetts Land Bank, during Colonial times, prospered, and brought prosperity to the community, until it was forcibly suppressed by special act of Parliament.

• I asked a director once what the secret of it all was, and he said you have to be so prepared that you are willing to throw all your preparation away in the moment when you see something better. That's a phenomenal piece of advice. It's been my compass through the process of making films. But you can really only do that if you're prepared. You can't wing it.