Hillbilly quotes

• We Liberal Democrats believe in dialogue. We believe in cooperation with both sides of industry and between both sides of industry. And we believe in the language of cooperation. We reject the language of confrontation.

• My husband and I were in Paris for the weekend and I hated wearing anything that was in style. I really loved '50s dresses, so we started going around Paris and hunting this stuff down. It became like this treasure hunt. From then on, I felt like a pirate every time I left Paris.

• Political experts are saying the reason John Kerry is doing so well is because he's 'electable.' Hey, so was Al Gore - in fact, he even got elected and it didn't help him at all.

• In the works of man, everything is as poor as its author; vision is confined, means are limited, scope is restricted, movements are labored, and results are humdrum.

• If horse racing is the sport of kings, then drag racing must be the sport of queens.

• Zip codes might be great for sorting mail, but they should not determine the quality of a child s education or success in the future workforce," said Bob Wise, president of the Alliance for Excellent Education and former governor of West Virginia. "With common standards and assessments, students, parents, and teachers will have a clear, consistent understanding of the skills necessary for students to succeed after high school and compete with peers across the state line and across the ocean.

• Solving the population problem is not going to solve the problems of racism... of sexism... of religious intolerance... of war... of gross economic inequality But if you don't solve the population problem, you're not going to solve any of those problems. Whatever problem you're interested in, you're not going to solve it unless you also solve the population problem. Whatever your cause, it's a lost cause without population control.

• I speak only of myself since I do not wish to convince, I have no right to drag others into my river, I oblige no one to follow me and everybody practices his art in his own way." - Tristan Tzara "Dada Manifesto 1918

• Life is to be entered upon with courage.

• Those authors who appear sometimes to forget they are writers, and remember they are men, will be our favorites.