Vexation quotes

• No; for instead of delivering myself up to the full enjoyment of the as others do, I am always troubling my head about how I could produce the same effect upon canvas; and as that can never be done, it is mere vanity and vexation of spirit.
    -- Anne Bronte

#Vanity #Vexation #Done

• The more we can be raised above the petty vexations and pleasures of this world into the eternal life to come, the more shall we be prepared to enter into that eternal life whenever God shall please to call us hence.
    -- Arthur Penrhyn Stanley

#World #Vexation #Eternity

• Life is full of troubles and vexations, that one must either rise above it by means of corrected thoughts, or leave it.
    -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#Mean #Vexation #Life Is

• Whoever lives in Berlin note, and doesn't die of Liberalism, will never die of vexation!
    -- Ferdinand Lassalle

#Uprising #Vexation #Berlin

• Cast out thy Jonah--every sleeping and secure sin that brings a tempest upon thy ship, vexation to thy spirit.
    -- Frederic Reynolds

#Sleep #Ships #Vexation

• The disappointments of life can never, any more than its pleasures, be estimated singly; and the healthiest and most agreeable of men is exposed to that coincidence of various vexations, each heightening the effect of the other, which may produce in him something corresponding to the spontaneous and externally unaccountable moodiness of the morbid and disagreeable.
    -- George Eliot

#Disappointment #May #Vexation

• Let pessimism once take hold of the mind, and life is all topsy-turvy, all vanity and vexation of spirit. There is no cure for individual or social disorder, except in forgetfulness and annihilation.
    -- Helen Keller

#Vanity #Mind #Vexation

• Vex not thy spirit at the course of things, they heed not thy vexations
    -- Marcus Aurelius

#Vex #Vexation #Spirit

• Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
    -- Max Ehrmann

#Philosophical #Vexation #Spirit

• Any other vexations to report?" he asks. "I love the word 'vexations.'" "It's the 'x.' Nice to jump off a 'v' and bite into an 'x' like that." "Just the usual ones," she says. "How was the weekend?" "Vexing. Not really, I just wanted to say it. You?
    -- Michael Cunningham

#Nice #Weekend #Vexation

• Every relation to mankind, of hate or scorn or neglect, is full of vexation and torment.
    -- Orville Dewey

#Hate #Vexation #Neglect

• For all-around, everyday, all-season wear, farmers can't be beat. They are inclined to chafe under the burden of leisure (a minor vexation on the farm), but they thrive on neglect and adversity.
    -- Patricia Penton Leimbach

#Adversity #Everyday #Vexation

• We are developing new types of destitutes-the automobileless, the yachtless, the Newportcottageless. The subtlest luxuries of today reaches very high in the social scale... The end of it all is vexation of spirit.
    -- Walter Weyl

#Luxury #Today #Vexation

• I am worn out by the insults and vexations that this work brings down on us.
    -- Jean le Rond d'Alembert

#Vexation #Insult #Worn