Equine quotes

• The civil rights movement was based on faith. Many of us who were participants in this movement saw our involvement as an extension of our faith. We saw ourselves doing the work of the Almighty. Segregation and racial discrimination were not in keeping with our faith, so we had to do something.

• The skilful employer of men will employ the wise man, the brave man, the covetous man, and the stupid man.

• Whitney Houston's voice was the very first voice I fell in love with. She was the voice that made me want to become a singer.

• I like the financial security because I know how hard it is for so many people who struggle to earn a living. I'm grateful I don't have to worry about money and I can live very freely and do something I love and get paid very well to do it. I tell my friends to slap me if they ever think I'm getting full of myself.

• There are only two classes in society: those who get more than they earn, and those who earn more than they get.

• Beautiful colours can be bought in the shops on the Riatlo, but good drawing can only be bought from the casket of the artist's talent with patient study and nights with out sleep.

• The old men of the village of Mahotière say that the Mistress of the Water is a mulatto woman. At midnight she comes out of the spring and sings while combing her dripping long hair, which makes a sound sweeter than a violin. It is a song of perdition for whomever hears it. There is no sign of the Cross, no "Our Father" to save him. Her curse takes him like a fish in a net and the Mistress of the Water awaits him on the edge of the spring and smiles upon him and tells him to follow her to the depths, from which he will never return.

• Fear; if allowed free rein, would reduce all of us to trembling shadows of men, for whom only death could bring release

• Your tweet is as important as if you would have written a Ph.D. [dissertation] on the subject.

• Creating traditions in the blended family promote unity and a sense of belonging.