Old Memories quotes

• The need to write comes from the need to make sense of one's life and discover one's usefulness.

• There is a God, and his name is Aristophanes.

• When you fail, embrace it. Bleed. Get hurt. Lose your religion. That's the only way you will do amazing things.

• Americans have only the dimmest notion of what their constitutional freedoms are - and what it took to get them...[and] the willingness to surrender what we're supposed to be fighting for is a recurring part of our history.

• As an actor, I don't really think you find yourself. I mean, once you find yourself, I think it becomes boring and you become set in your ways. I think, as an actor I think it's not a bad thing but more of a gift. It's something you're always doing as an actor. You're adjusting constantly.

• All the great novels, all the great films, all the great dramas are fictions that actually tell us the truth about us or about human nature or about human situations without being tied into the minutia of documentary events. Otherwise we might as well just make documentaries.

• The process of which I am speaking is nothing less than a conservative revolution on such a scale as the history of Europe has never known. Its object is form, a new German reality, in which the whole nation will share.

• Religion is the mortar that binds society together; the granite pedestal of liberty; the strong backbone of the social system.

• I have never worn dresses by grands couturiers.

• "Democracy" means nothing else other than, "rule of the people", in Greek. There is nothing democratic about the political concepts of the United States and Europe.