Hydrogen quotes

• This oxidation of hydrogen in stages seems to be one of the basic principles of biological oxidation.
    -- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

#Principles #Hydrogen #Stage

• I was encouraged to hear that GM has made great progress on the hydrogen car.
    -- Albert Wynn

#Car #Progress #Hydrogen

• Deep beneath the surface of the Sun, enormous forces were gathering. At any moment, the energies of a million hydrogen bombs might burst forth in the awesome explosion.... Climbing at millions of miles per hour, an invisible fireball many times the size of Earth would leap from the Sun and head out across space.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

#Space #Climbing #Hydrogen

• This is the greatest discovery of the scientific enterprise: You take hydrogen gas, and you leave it alone, and it turns into rosebushes, giraffes, and humans.
    -- Brian Swimme

#Discovery #Hydrogen #Giraffe

• If you let hydrogen gas alone for 13 billion years it will become giraffes, rose bushes and humans.
    -- Brian Swimme

#Years #Rose #Hydrogen

• Birds are, especially canaries, are super sensitive to hydrogen sulfide and sour gas.
    -- David Suzuki

#Bird #Hydrogen #Sensitive

• If we were driving pure hydrogen automobiles, that automobile would actually help clean up the air because the air coming out of the exhaust would be cleaner than the air going into the engine intake.
    -- Dennis Weaver

#Air #Would Be #Hydrogen

• Detroit is saying that the hydrogen vehicle is the vehicle of the future. But it's 15 years from now.
    -- Ed Markey

#Years #Hydrogen #Detroit

• From the results so far obtained it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that the long-range atoms arising from collision of alpha particles with nitrogen are not nitrogen atoms but probably atoms of hydrogen, or atoms of mass 2. If this be the case, we must conclude that the nitrogen atom is disintegrated under the intense forces developed in a close collision with a swift alpha particle, and that the hydrogen atom which is liberated formed a constituent part of the nitrogen nucleus.
    -- Ernest Rutherford

#Long #Hydrogen #Atoms

• Some piously record 'In the beginning God', but I say 'In the beginning hydrogen'.
    -- Harlow Shapley

#Records #Hydrogen

• Deliberate choices are the only sacred things in the universe. Everything else is just hydrogen.
    -- James Alan Gardner

#Choices #Sacred #Hydrogen

• In the 21st century, hundreds of millions-and eventually billions-of human beings will transform their buildings into power plants to harvest renewable energies on site, store those energies in the form of hydrogen and share electricity, peer-to-peer, across local, regional, national and continental inter-grids that act much like the Internet.
    -- Jeremy Rifkin

#Peers #Hydrogen #Energy

• It has been recognized that hydrogen bonds restrain protein molecules to their native configurations, and I believe that as the methods of structural chemistry are further applied to physiological problems it will be found that the significance of the hydrogen bond for physiology is greater than that of any other single structural feature.
    -- Linus Pauling

#Believe #Hydrogen #Molecules

• A hydrogen bomb, for me, was puny compared to the Big Bang - the creation of the universe. That's what I really wanted to work on - the nature of the universe itself, and that's what I do for a living.
    -- Michio Kaku

#Hydrogen #Bangs #Bombs

• And I also take photos of hydrogen bomb, from another part of the building. It was not part of my job, but I succeeded to go and take photos of the hydrogen bomb.
    -- Mordechai Vanunu

#Jobs #Bombs #Hydrogen

• I also was producing, working on other materials for the hydrogen bomb. They call it lithium-6 and tritium. I was working on these and the only use for lithium-6 is the hydrogen bomb.
    -- Mordechai Vanunu

#Use #Bombs #Hydrogen

• I built the solenoid and with great expectations late one evening I pressed the switch which sent a current of 40 amperes through the coil. The result was spectacular-a deafening explosion, the apparatus disappeared, all windows were blown in or out, a wall caved in, and thus ended my pioneering experiment on liquid hydrogen cooled coils!
    -- Nicholas Kurti

#Wall #Expectations #Hydrogen

• Let there be more corn and more meat and let there be no hydrogen bombs at all.
    -- Nikita Khrushchev

#Bombs #Corn #Hydrogen

• God is a spirit. A spirit is as much matter as oxygen or hydrogen
    -- Orson Pratt

#Oxygen #Matter #Hydrogen

• In organic chemistry, we have learnt to derive from compounds containing only carbon and hydrogen, i.e. from the hydrocarbons, all other types of combinations, such as alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, acids, etc.
    -- Otto Wallach

#Alcohol #Hydrogen #Etc

• Forget hydrogen, forget hydrogen, forget hydrogen.
    -- R. James Woolsey, Jr.

#Hydrogen #Climate #Forget

• To understand hydrogen is to understand all of physics.
    -- Victor Frederick Weisskopf

#Hydrogen #Physics

• Organic compounds exist in which a hydrogen atom, joined to the carbon, acquires acid properties as a result of the proximity of certain functional groupings.
    -- Victor Grignard

#Atoms #Hydrogen #Acid

• Travel requires a great deal of energy - whether you go by car, by bus, by train or plane. We'll likely be using hydrogen as our main energy for transport.
    -- Hermann E. Ott

#Car #Energy #Hydrogen

• To understand hydrogen is to understand all of physics.
    -- Unknown

#Hydrogen #Physics

• In organic chemistry there exist certain types which are conserved even when, in place of hydrogen, equal volumes of chlorine, of bromine, etc. are introduced.
    -- Jean-Baptiste Dumas

#Hydrogen #Etc #Chlorine