Oxen quotes

• Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it. Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.
    -- Gautama Buddha

#Attitude #Thinking #Oxen

• The patience of poverty. In rice fields, backs bent forever. Amazing, man outoxens the oxen and still smiles. The mystery of India, say Indologists.
    -- Gunter Grass

#Men #Oxen #Forever

• One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make the bones with;" and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying himself with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.
    -- Henry David Thoreau

#Oxen #Vegetables #Raw Materials

• Happy he who far from business, like the primitive are of mortals, cultivates with his own oxen the fields of his fathers, free from all anxieties of gain.
    -- Horace

#Father #Oxen #Agriculture

• Happy he who far from business persuits Tills and re-tills his ancestral lands With oxen of his own breeding Having no slavish yoke about his neck.
    -- Horace

#Oxen #Land #Yoke

• One hair of a woman can draw more than a hundred pair of oxen.
    -- James Howell

#Hair #Oxen #Pairs

• One ox, two oxen. One fox, two foxen.
    -- Jenny Lawson

#Oxen #Two #Foxes

• In 1867, George Campbell, Duke of Argyll, had published The Reign of Law, a book that Darwin found deeply annoying. A supporter of Richard Owen, Campbell argued that while evolution (or Development) might be observable in the fossil record, it was merely evidence of God's purpose. God, for example, would cause horses and oxen to evolve in time to meet human needs. The brightly colored plumage of birds, Campbell went on, were simply God's decorations of nature for humanity's enjoyment.
    -- Jonathan Clements

#Horse #Book #Oxen

• That which the French proverb hath of sickness is true of all evils, that they come on horseback, and go away on foot; we have often seen a sudden fall or one meal's surfeit hath stuck by many to their graves; whereas pleasures come like oxen, slow, and heavily, and go away like post-horses, upon the spur.
    -- Joseph Hall

#Horse #Fall #Oxen

• Democracy is like three oxen pulling a plough. The oxen are the independent powers, but you have to walk in the same direction; otherwise, you cannot plough and that is what was happening in Colombia. One ox was walking in one direction, the other in another direction, so the democracy was not working.
    -- Juan Manuel Santos

#Independent #Oxen #One Direction

• In literature, there are only oxen. The biggest ones are the geniuses-the ones who toil eighteen hours a day without tiring.
    -- Jules Renard

#Writing #Oxen #Toil

• From high Meonia's rocky shores I came, Of poor decsent, Acoetes is my name, My sire was measly born: no oxen ploughed, His fruitful fields, nor in his pastures lowed, His whole estate within the waters lay' With lines and hooks he caught the finny prey; His art was all his livelehood, which he Thus with his dying lips bequeathed to me: In streams, my boy, and rivers take thy chance; There swims', said he, Thy whole inheritance.
    -- Ovid

#Art #Boys #Oxen

• Too slow, the wagons of years, The oxen of days--too glum. Our god is the god of speed, Our heart--our battle-drum.
    -- Vladimir Mayakovsky

#Heart #Years #Oxen

• Our enlightened posterity will look back upon us who eat oxen and sheep, just as we look upon cannibals.
    -- William Winwood Reade

#Compassion #Oxen #Sheep

• If oxen and horses and lions could draw and paint, they would delineate the gods in their own image.
    -- Xenophanes

#Horse #Oxen #Atheism