Unmade Beds quotes

• I feel there's so much pressure, especially for women, to declare what their life's going to be and what their career is, and are you married yet? Are you single? But you're 30. And girlfriends are so important. You can have a boyfriend or husband when you're 30, but you still need your girlfriends.

• Smiling is the best way to face every problem, to crush every fear, to hide every pain.

• I think you have to be extremely strong to be in the police and I couldn't do that at all. I get nervous when a police car is driving past me when I'm in the car, pondering what they're doing or going to.

• When banks extend loans to their customers, they create money by crediting their customers’ accounts.

• But the real life of a writer resides in showing up at the keyboard every day, with the necessary patience and mercy, and making the best decisions you can on behalf of your people. It's a slow process. It often feels hopeless, more like an affliction than an art form. Most of us will have to find our readers one by one, in other words, and against considerable resistance. If anything qualifies us as heroic, it's that private perpetual struggle. Put down that magazine, soldier. Forget about the other guy. Remember who you are.

• Babies all over the world are what I like to describe as 'citizens of the world.' They can discriminate all the sounds of all languages, no matter what country we're testing and what language we're using.

• I try to tell the truth.

• No poet, no artist of any art, has his complete meaning alone.

• You are helpful, and you are loved, and you are forgiven, and you are not alone.

• If I wasn't in broadcasting I would like to grow a gigantic beard; and I would like to open a motorcycle garage somewhere in the desert in Nevada and I would disappear and work on bikes, make them really fast. I would love to just race motorcycles for a living if I could do it, but I'm just not that good at it so this is what I'm doing.