True Believer quotes

• [Social legislation] raised the cost of production; and what can be more illogical than to raise the cost of production in the country and then to allow the products of other countries which are not surrounded by any similar legislation, which are free from any similar cost and expenditure freely to enter our country in competition with our own goods...If these foreign goods come in cheaper, one of two things must follow...either you will take lower wages or you will lose your work.

• It's not a character flaw to become an adult.

• You are further to declare that we hold sacred the rights of conscience, and may promise to the whole people, solemnly in our name, the free and undisturbed exercise of their religion. And...that all civil rights and the right to hold office were to be extended to persons of any Christian denomination.

• By adopting a certain physical posture, a resonant chord is struck in spirit.

• I'd never been to a prom, I had never had the whole high school experience. I think I was kind of an anomaly. I don't think they knew where to put me.

• When you've come face-to-face with the dark side of the school yard, life doesn't hold many surprises.

• I call upon those who love freedom to stand with us now. Together we shall achieve victory.

• It is only through raising expectations and striving for excellence that our children can reach their full potential.

• Not seeing is half-believing.

• Films are artifice. We're telling stories on film. At the same time, when it works, there is a real tough immediacy and spontaneity to it, and a punch.