Emancipation quotes

• One keeps searching for ease, she did not say, and not finding it, till the memories of no-pain seem only like daydreams.

• Sometimes all that saves me is being willing to make mistakes. There are projects that strike me as so beautiful, important, complicated, or just plain big, that they convince me of my own inadequacy. This awful state of reverence leads to paralyzing brain freeze. At times like that the only way out is for me to decide, 'To hell with it. I can't do it right, so I'll do it wrong. I can't do it well, but I can do it badly.' Sometimes, with luck, while I'm sweating to do it wrong, I stumble on a right way.

• With it all independent I feel like we're doing it one person at a time turning people into believers one person at a time. Just that good old-fashioned grind, get out there, touch the people.

• If I was sad or afraid, I would sit in a corner and sing. If I was happy I would jump into the middle of the room and sing. It was how I expressed my emotions.

• In God's pattern of justice, He takes the risk of the guilty going free but not the innocent being punished.

• I liked work shoes and big, working-class hands. The stars would come and go, but the crew on my movies was my extended family.

• There is no right or wrong behavior. The only meaningful choice is between fear and love.

• My father would take me to the playground, and put me on mood swings

• We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. We couldn't do it, butGod did.

• Just give the Italians a chance for drama and they take it with both hands.