One Mistake quotes

• I guess my point in general is that, if you look closely, who is in politics to self-identify - these are the people who flip easily, from right to left, pro-Muslim to anti-Muslim, etc. - versus who, whether on the right or left, is moved by genuine interest and empathy.

• I am deeply interested in the progress and elevation of journalism, having spent my life in that profession, regarding it as a noble profession and one of unequaled importance for its influence upon the minds and morals of the people

• Biography is the medium through which the remaining secrets of the famous dead are taken from them and dumped out in full view of the world. The biographer at work, indeed, is like the professional burglar, breaking into a house, rifling through certain drawers that he has good reason to think contain the jewelry and money, and triumphantly bearing his loot away.

• Many people are living in an emotional jail without realizing it.

• Reductionism is a dirty word, and a kind of 'holistier than thou' self-righteousness has become fashionable.

• I'm really a clean-cut kid.

• Getting older is a lot of fun. Right up there with chewing glass or putting your hand in a blender.

• Writers, because they write, are condemned never to be readers of their own stories...The memory of first putting a story into words will always prevent writers from reading their work as an ordinary reader would.

• Street hockey is great for kids. It's energetic, competitive, and skilful. And best of all, it keeps them off the street.

• There are many teenage vampire books you could have purchased instead. I'm grateful you made this choice.