Oboes quotes

• I remember once, when I started writing for the alto saxophone, a saxophonist told me to think of it as being like a cross between an oboe and a viola, but louder.
    -- Gavin Bryars

#Writing #Thinking #Oboes

• If you take a violin, you can make it sound 50 different ways. Not just pizzicato and played by the bow, but ponticello, and harmonics, and tremolos. If you take an oboe and play it, there's about one way you can make it sound: like an oboe.
    -- John Corigliano

#Play #Sound #Oboes

• But the stuff that I do is more like all the comic roles like in The Merry Widow and Die Fledermaus and I just did this Offenbach operetta at the LA Opera. I love it. I just love it. For me, it's like a great mesh of musical theatre and my classical oboe background to be standing on these huge stages with a full orchestra and all the opulence. I'm a complete sucker for the over-the-topness.
    -- Jason Graae

#Musical #Theatre #Oboes

• When you play the oboe, the flute or other wind instruments, there is something between you and the breath; there is the embouchure, the reed, etc. But with the recorder, I receive an immediate response from the instrument. This is something that attracted me to the instrument, that I could immediately feel the response of what I was doing.
    -- Michala Petri

#Wind #Play #Oboes

• One other hobby of mine has been playing the oboe but I have not kept this up after 1969.
    -- Kenneth G. Wilson

#Hobbies #Oboes #Mines

• I want to run for the Senate from Tennessee . Not now, but when I'm 50, when music dies down a little bit. I know lots of artists and actors have those delusions of grandeur, but ever since I was a kid, it's been of interest to me.

• When you're playing to an audience that isn't your own, it's quite scary.

• You get to be famous or have some notoriety and there are so many people who want a piece of you.

• A lot of people want to keep country music in the minority of people. But it belongs to the world. It's art.

• Chemistry is so important in a great kiss. You can act your way through anything, but its hard with a kiss.

• I felt pretty comfortable with Westerns, apart from the fact I couldn't ride.

• I've had great pleasure meeting the likes of Newt Gingrich and having a chat with the fellow on a staircase. I found him completely dishonest and totally likeable, because he doesn't care! He knows what a politician is, and he's a perfect embodiment of one.

• A lot of the times when I've auditioned for parts in America, the answer is, 'Sorry, we need a bigger name.'

• When was the last time someone told you 'Look at the bright side of things' when you were depressed, and you actually paid attention to them? Maybe some people do, but I sure as hell don't.

• Hallucinations are bad enough. But after awhile you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth. Most acid fanciers can handle this sort of thing. But nobody can handle that other trip-the possibility that any freak with $1.98 can walk into the Circus-Circus and suddenly appear in the sky over downtown Las Vegas twelve times the size of God, howling anything that comes into his head. No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs.