Understated quotes

• If we develop a good heart we will progress to true compassion, and awaken Bodhicitta. This is the way of the Buddha's method.

• How happy I would be if I could give figurative expression to the unconscious feeling that often murmurs so softly and sweetly within me.

• I think art has a right — not an obligation — to be difficult if it wishes. And, since people generally go on from this to talk about elitism versus democracy, I would add that genuinely difficult art is truly democratic.

• By nature, I think I am a pretty private person, and that is what is hard even doing interviews for films that I really love doing, because in some ways, it diminishes the experience that I had.

• Life at a public company ain't for me. The board pays you what you're worth, then you get reamed for your compensation.

• I had no idea how Stevenson's cases would hold up under close scrutiny. But given what was at stake - nothing less than possible concrete evidence of life after death - weren't they at least worth a visit?

• For those in the conservative movement to think that you're going to change minds only by preaching to the choir, you don't understand how media works. So that's probably the most potent weapon out there is to go fight the fire, go towards the fire.

• Because God is faithful, He can be trusted fully to completely carry out His commitments to us in Christ.

• There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman.

• Salvation for a race, nation or class must come from within. Freedom is never granted; it is won. Justice is never given; it is exacted.