Vapor quotes

• He rocked in the swells, floating like the first germ of life adrift on the earth's cooling seas, formless macule of plasm trapped in a vapor drop and all creation yet to come.
    -- Cormac McCarthy

#Sea #Vapor #Firsts

• The theory of interest was wrapped in utter obscurity, until Hume and Smith dispelled the vapor.
    -- Jean-Baptiste Say

#Obscurity #Vapor #Theory

• Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion.
    -- Mark Twain

#Inspiration #Vapor #Reputation

• But in my life, in my personality, there is an essence of falseness and insincerity. A thin, fine vapor of fraud hangs always over me and dampens and injures some things in me that I value.
    -- Mary MacLane

#Essence #Personality #Vapor

• To condense fact from the vapor of nuance.
    -- Neal Stephenson

#Facts #Nuance #Vapor

• The human body is vapor materialized by sunshine mixed with the life of the stars.
    -- Paracelsus

#Stars #Sunshine #Vapor

• Those who have nothing else to recommend them to the respect of others but only their blood, cry it up at a great rate, and have their mouth perpetually full of it. They swell and vapor, and you are sure to hear of their families and relations every third word.
    -- Pierre Charron

#Blood #Mouths #Vapor

• (Djinn are essentially vapor.) "I blew him away.
    -- Rachel Caine

#Vapor

• The received image of a writer is that of an unproductive sensitive who suffers from the vapors, is enslaved by his gonads, falls victim to romantic swoons and passes out at deadlines.
    -- George V. Higgins

#Fall #Suffering #Vapor

• Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.

• This world demands the qualities of youth; not a time of life but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the life of ease.

• [Pope Francis] has done this not through angry speeches, but through the powerful symbols and examples of embracing a badly deformed man, welcoming refugees to the Vatican, strolling through a shanty town in Rome, visiting a home for the elderly, washing the feet of prisoners on Holy Thursday, and going to a hospital for newborns.

• Virtual reality is a self-created form of chosen reality. Therefore it exists.

• Most English talk is a quadrille in a sentry-box.

• I thought he might hit me over the head, knowing that he wanted to do the whole show. He was young, ambitious, and a huge talent. But he was also very gentle, and we got along fine.

• I think that as you get older, you learn to live in yourself more securely.

• Ye diners out from whom we guard our spoons.

• We physicists know that a beautiful postulate is more likely to be correct than an ugly one. Why not adopt this Postulate of Eternal Life, at least as a working hypothesis?

• You can never say you're big - I don't think you can ever take anything like that for granted.