Purchasing quotes

• Monsters cannot be announced. One cannot say: 'Here are our monsters,' without immediately turning the monsters into pets.

• In politics, as in poetry, it is sometimes true that it is darkest before dawn.

• Let us conduct ourselves so that all men wish to be our friends and all fear to be our enemies.

• Where trade unions are most firmly organized, there are the rights of the people most respected.

• I may be prejudiced, but I believe that jazz music has the strongest healing potential, and it's not just because I play it and love it so much. I feel that it's the improvisation in jazz that makes it so strong as a healing tool, what each individual gives to a tune from their heart and their soul when they take a solo. It's all spontaneous, and it's all love, and from the heart.

• A person doesn't have to change who he is to become better.

• The real lesson Orville (Redenbacher) taught me was the power of a good brand to trump all rhyme or reason in the marketplace.

• Even though its common knowledge these days, it never ceases to amaze me that all the richness of our mental life - all our feelings, our emotions, our thoughts, our ambitions, our love life, our religious sentiments and even what each of us regards us his own intimate private self - is simply the activity of these little specks of jelly in your head, in your brain. There is nothing else.

• I am open to conviction on all points except dinner and debts. I hold that the one must be eaten and the other paid.

• In the book, I write about children in first grade who were taught to read by reading want ads. They learned to write by writing job applications. Imagine what would happen if anyone tried to do that to children in a predominantly white suburban school.