Byzantine quotes

• I maintain, then, that we should make peace, not only with the Chians, the Rhodians, the Byzantines and the Coans, but with all mankind...
    -- Isocrates

#Peace #Byzantine #Should

• The proliferation of bureaucrats and its invariable accompaniment, much heavier tax levies on the productive part of the population, are the recognizable signs, not of a great, but of a decaying society. Historians know that both phenomena were especially marked in the declining eras of the Roman Empire in the West and of its successor state, the Eastern or Byzantine Empire.
    -- William Henry Chamberlin

#Liberty #Byzantine #Empires

• I was immediately taken with Geoff Muldaur's rich soulful voice, masterful phrasing and guitar playing when I first heard him.

• There have always been huge musicians and poets in Uruguay, but Uruguay is a well-kept secret.

• Cinema is capitalism in its purest form.... There is only one solution - turn one's back on American cinema.

• You can never stop and as older people, we have to learn how to take leadership from the youth and I guess I would say that this is what I'm attempting to do right now.

• Self-worth comes from who we are in Christ, not what we accomplish in this world.

• I wish you music to help with the burdens of life ,and to help you release your happiness to others.

• If idioms are more to be born than to be selected, then the things of life and human nature that a man has grown up with--(not that one man's experience is better than another's, but that it is 'his.')--may give him something better in his substance and manner than an over-long period of superimposed idiomatic education which quite likely doesn't fit his constitution. My father used to say, 'If a poet knows more about a horse than he does about heaven, he might better stick to the horse, and some day the horse may carry him into heaven'

• To those who have given up on love: I say, "Trust life a little bit.

• A man growing old becomes a child again.

• I was the fat kid, so as a defense mechanism, I was the jokester.