Humble Beginnings quotes

• Cats exercise... a magic influence upon highly developed men of intellect. This is why these long-tailed Graces of the animal kingdom, these adorable, scintillating electric batteries have been the favorite animal of a Mohammed, Cardinal Richlieu, Crebillon, Rousseau, Wieland.

• It's just that the times I'm wrong don't register in your memory with as much clarity as the times I'm right.

• Football tactics are rapidly becoming as complicated as the chemical formula for splitting the atom.

• The advice I give to all adventurers is to seek a place where they may sleep in safety.

• To cook, and to do it well, every talent must be used; the strength of a prize-fighter, the imagination of a poet, the brain of an empire builder, the patience of Job, the eye and the touch of an artist, and, to turn your mistakes into edible assets, the cleverness of a politician.

• The elementary parts of all tissues are formed of cells in an analogous, though very diversified manner, so that it may be asserted, that there is one universal principle of development for the elementary parts of organisms, however different, and that this principle is the formation of cells.

• Good God! This man should be writing dime novels.

• Avoid demonizing television, computer games, and new technologies. Electronic media may compete for kids' attention, but we're not going to get kids reading by badmouthing other entertainment. Admit that TV and games can do things books can't.

• Good does not become better by being exaggerated, but worse; And a small evil becomes a big one through being disregarded and repressed.

• Three reasons not to have a [spending] plan: 1. You're rich enough to buy anything you want and still have plenty of money left over. 2. I forget the other two.