Emerging quotes

• For men love what they cannot have, and hate what they cannot control.

• The American official was trying to talk about aid and development projects and finally a local tribal chief got up and said, "Even if you turn our country into heaven, we don't want it from you. Just leave us."

• People go down bad paths and they make bad decisions, but it's always justified in their head.

• Man is so made that when anything fires his soul, impossibilities vanish.

• You almost have to step outside yourself and look at you as if you were someone else you really care about and really want to protect. Would you let someone take advantage of that person? Would you let someone use that person you really care about? Or would you speak up for them? If it was someone else you care about, you'd say something. I know you would. Okay, now put yourself back in that body. That person is you. Stand up and tell 'em, "Enough!

• Wit loses its point when dipped in malice.

• People smile at me as if they know me. I just smile back. They probably might know me.

• Life's greatest comfort is being able to look over your shoulder and see people worse off, waiting in line behind you.

• If one isn't parsimonious before Christmas one can't be munificent when it arrives.

• A thousand restaurants close every month. They re-open, and that's good for America. Nobody's rescuing them. They employ people, too. If we let them go bankrupt, the factories don't go away, the creative people don't go away. They get employed more productively by others.