Odds And Ends quotes

• I think it's better to just say nothing at all than to just send two words.

• When you're reading, you're not where you are; you're in the book. By the same token, I can write anywhere.

• Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan had tremendous influence on generations of American because, even if people disagreed with them, they admired them because they made very strong commitments to things they believed in.

• I grew up about 60 miles northwest of New York, in Middletown, NY.

• If all art aspires to the condition of music, all the sciences aspire to the condition of mathematics.

• We tell stories to talk out the trouble in our lives, trouble otherwise so often so unspeakable. It is one of our main ways of making our lives sensible. Trying to live without stories can make us crazy. They help us recognize what we believe to be most valuable in the world, and help us identify what we hold demonic.

• Something about photography is tied to a very specific relationship with the material world. It doesn't have to be, but the way I practice it, it is. So there's an act of observation, but it's not an act of objective recording. It's about framing something and seeing it and understanding that it's relational.

• I'm not staid and unbiased here. I have certain biases I want to convey, and if you disagree, that's fine.

• When you're building a business, you're either all in, or you're not.

• Slowly I would get to pen and paper, Make my poems for others unseen and unborn. In the day I would be reminded of those men and women, Brave, setting up signals across vast distances, considering a nameless way of living, of almost unimagined values.