Ties That Bind quotes

• Not everyone is meant to stay forever.

• In marrying, a man does not, to be sure, marry his wife's mother; and yet a prudent man, when he begins to think of the daughter, would look sharp at the mother; ay, and back to the grandmother too, and along the whole female line of ancestry.

• I hate it when people call themselves 'entrepreneurs' when what they're really trying to do is launch a startup and then sell of go public, so they can cash in and move on. They're unwilling to do the work it takes to build a real company, which is the hardest work in business.

• I keep on working when other people are out having fun. But I love what I do and find it hard to stop.

• Novels seem to exist because of this need to know and connect, and so story becomes charged with necessity.

• I am not given to superstition, yet there are certain places in old Asian countries where human beings have been born and have lived and died for so many generations that the very earth is saturated with their flesh and the air seems crowded with their continuing presence.

• Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods, he believed in love and peace, and never wore no shoes.

• Love what you do. Enjoy listening to people. It can be hard work, but the potential for helping people is tremendous.

• I'm still more comfortable with standards than with my own songs.

• From an aunt, long ago: "Death has come for me many times but finds me always in my lovely garden and leaves me there, I think, as an excuse to return.