Catchers quotes

• With a nearly desperate sense of isolation and a growing suspicion that I lived in an alien land, I took to the road in search of places where change did not mean ruin and where time and men and deeds connected.

• The boys in the hood are always hard.

• I really don't get nervous when I perform -it's more of an exciting feeling than anything else. But put me in a classroom with kids my age and have me take a test and yeah, I'll be nervous!

• Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true.

• You are helpful, and you are loved, and you are forgiven, and you are not alone.

• Margaret Cavendish was one of the people who came up in the course. That was when I started thinking about her as a character for a book, but my idea was for a totally different book. It had all these characters in it; Samuel Pepys was one of the main characters. He famously wrote these extensive diaries through the period that are really funny and sort of saucy, actually.

• There's a million reasons why I should give you up. But the heart wants what it wants.

• There is a story of some mountains of salt in Cumana, which never diminished, though carried away in much abundance by merchants; but when once they were monopolized to the benefit of a private purse, then the salt decreased; till afterward all were allowed to take of it, when it had a new access and increase. The truth of this story may be uncertain, but the application is true; he that envies others the use of his gifts decays then, but he thrives most that is most diffusive.

• No man is an island. You can ask people for help and they can ask for your help in return.

• Virtue and vice are concepts invented by human beings, words for a morality which human beings arbitrarily devised.